Re: pg_dump: [tar archiver] write error appending to tar archive

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "MG" <pgsql-general(at)carladata(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump: [tar archiver] write error appending to tar archive
Date: 2007-02-12 14:32:45
Lists: pgsql-general

"MG" <pgsql-general(at)carladata(dot)de> writes:
> Now we got the following error:
> pg_dump: [tar archiver] write error appending to tar archive (wrote =
> 28186, attempted 32767)
> There is enough space on the hard disk.

How big is the dump file? I seem to recall that tar format has a limit
on the size of individual members (tables), and maybe an overall size
limit as well. Another issue is that I think the members are first
built as temp files in /tmp, so the member size is constrained by how
much space you have on that filesystem.

If that's the story, switching to the "custom" format is the answer.