Re: "page is not marked all-visible" warning in regression tests

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: "page is not marked all-visible" warning in regression tests
Date: 2012-06-05 14:18:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Tuesday, June 05, 2012 03:32:08 PM Tom Lane wrote:
>> I got this last night in a perfectly standard build of HEAD:
>> + WARNING: page is not marked all-visible but visibility map bit is set in
>> relation "pg_db_role_setting" page 0 --

> I have seen that twice just yesterday. Couldn't reproduce it so far.
> Workload was (pretty exactly):

> initdb
> postgres -c fsync=off
> pgbench -i -s 100
> CREATE TABLE data(id serial primary key, data int);
> ALTER SEQUENCE data_id_seq INCREMENT 2;
> VACUUM FREEZE;
> normal shutdown
> postgres -c fsync=on
> pgbench -c 20 -j 20 -T 100
> WARNING: ... pg_depend ...
> WARNING: ... can't remember ...

Hmm ... from memory, what I did was

configure/build/install from a fresh pull
initdb
start postmaster, fsync off
make installcheck
stop postmaster
apply Hanada-san's json patch, replace postgres executable
start postmaster, fsync off
make installcheck

and it was the second of these runs that failed. Could we be missing
flushing some blocks out to disk at shutdown? Maybe fsync off is a
contributing factor?