Re: ERROR: cache lookup failed for type 0

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ERROR: cache lookup failed for type 0
Date: 2005-01-08 17:56:45
Lists: pgsql-general

>> You didn't palloc the values array. Any reasonable compiler would have
>> warned you about that BTW. If you don't have compiler warnings enabled,
>> learn to use them.

> I think with gcc this type of warning is only enabled when you're compiling
> with optimizations. Most people don't compile with optimizations enabled when
> developing.

Pretty much the first thing you learn when developing with gcc is to use
-O1 -Wall for compiling devel code. Gets all the warnings and doesn't
confuse gdb too badly. Once in a long while I'll recompile an
individual file with -O0 so that I can single-step through it more
easily, but 99.44% of the time I'd rather have the
uninitialized-variable warning.