Re: PostgreSQL clustering with DRBD

From: Serge Fonville <serge(dot)fonville(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL clustering with DRBD
Date: 2009-02-23 09:27:52
Lists: pgsql-general

Thanks all for the responses,

We're very happy with pgpool-II for load-balancing and multi-master

usage of PostgreSQL (keep in mind to enable HA for pgpool-II itself to

avoid a SPOF, e.g. with heartbeat).

I could not determine whether pgpool-II is suitable for what I want.
It does not seem to support multimaster in the fashion I had in mind, based
on the information on the website it looks like it does not support full
CRUD on any node.
The most suitable solution seems to be LVS for a shared IP, ldirectord for
load balancing and cybercluster for the database
replication/synchronization.

After reading your post I decided to check out cybercluster. In PgFoundry
> there is a cybercluster project http://pgfoundry.org/projects/
> cybercluster/ but it hasn't been updated since 2007.

On the cybercluster website <http://postgresql.at/english/start_e.html> the
newest version is 1.2 and at pgfoundry it is 1.0
At the apache directory
listing<http://postgresql.at/download/cybercluster_1.2/>it seems
version 1.2.1 dated 25-Jul-2008 21:05 seems to be the newest.
Cybercluster uses shared-nothing storage (as does MySQL cluster) fortunately
Cybercluster supports a two node cluster.

I think I start to have an idea about what the best suitable solution is for
my situation.
I was hoping there would be some sort of patch for the PostgreSQL download
instead of an entire rebuild of the sources.

I'll post any updates I find.

Thanks a lot everyone

Regards,

Serge Fonville