Re: version upgrade

From: Jeff <threshar(at)torgo(dot)978(dot)org>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Andrew Rawnsley <ronz(at)ravensfield(dot)com>
Subject: Re: version upgrade
Date: 2004-09-01 13:47:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Aug 31, 2004, at 6:30 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Huh? You can replicate onto the same server. Kicks your
> performance in
> the teeth but it works fine. Heck, I did it on my laptop as a demo.

Doesn't work If you have say, a 100GB db and only 50GB free space.
Not nearly enough to duplicate. But plenty of breathing room for normal
operation.

Various db's support in place upgrades. and I'm thankful I tried
Informix's out on a test db first because it simply scribbled over all
the data instead of upgrading. Support told me that can happen
sometimes. COOL HUH?

--
Jeff Trout <jeff(at)jefftrout(dot)com>
http://www.jefftrout.com/