Re: PostgreSQL, NetBSD and NFS

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "D'Arcy J(dot)M(dot) Cain" <darcy(at)druid(dot)net>
Cc: Ian Fry <Ian(dot)Fry(at)sophos(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, current-users(at)netbsd(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL, NetBSD and NFS
Date: 2003-02-05 20:09:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"D'Arcy J.M. Cain" <darcy(at)druid(dot)net> writes:
> On Wednesday 05 February 2003 13:04, Ian Fry wrote:
>> How about adjusting the read and write-size used by the NetBSD machine? I
>> think the default is 32k for both read and write on i386 machines now.
>> Perhaps try setting them back to 8k (it's the -r and -w flags to mount_nfs,
>> IIRC)

> Hey! That did it.

Hot diggety!

> So, why does this fix it?

I think now you file a bug report with the NetBSD kernel folk. My
thoughts are running in the direction of a bug having to do with
scattering a 32K read into multiple kernel disk-cache buffers or
gathering together multiple cache buffer contents to form a 32K write.
Unless NetBSD has changed from its heritage, the kernel disk cache
buffers are 8K, and so an 8K NFS read or write would never cross a
cache buffer boundary. But 32K would.

Or it could be a similar bug on the NFS server's side?