Re: Default "maximum rows to retrieve" setting

From: John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Default "maximum rows to retrieve" setting
Date: 2007-03-20 00:03:44
Lists: pgadmin-support

One of the useful things about the frontend/backend protocol (http://
www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/protocol.html) is that it
provides a way to set a value for the maximum number of rows to
return. This avoids the major hassle of trying to analyze the query
and figure out how to add a limit clause. Unfortunately, I don't
recall seeing a way set this using libpq or EXECUTE.

John

On Mar 19, 2007, at 5:03 AM, Dave Page wrote:

>> Ideally what I'd like is to set the default rows to retrieve to
>> 1000, so
>> it downloads the first 1000 rows when I open the table, and then I
>> can
>> choose to retrieve others if I need to.
>
> That would be a whole different patch. Feel free to submit one :-)

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL