Re: Full text search strategy for names

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Rick Schumeyer <rschumeyer(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Full text search strategy for names
Date: 2009-04-19 20:38:47
Lists: pgsql-general

Rick Schumeyer <rschumeyer(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I also noticed that the directions for indexing multiple columns don't seem
> to be quite right.

> In section 12.2.2:

> UPDATE pgweb SET textsearchable_index_col =
> to_tsvector('english', coalesce(title,'') || coalesce(body,''));

Yeah, this would be better done with a space in the middle. I've
corrected the documentation --- thanks for the comment!

(Note that you could do it in other ways that don't require this,
ie feed the columns to to_tsvector() separately; but in the terms of
this particular example, you do want a space to avoid running words
together.)