Re: [HACKERS] Re: AWL: PostgreSQL ODBC.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: Postgres Hackers List <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: AWL: PostgreSQL ODBC.
Date: 1998-10-27 18:48:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Thomas G. Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu> writes:
> Actually, I don't know why the Makefile.shlib needs anything
> platform-specific other than perhaps helping with the naming conventions
> for libraries. If the LDFLAGS_SL was in the platform template then
> Makefile.shlib wouldn't need anything in that regard, right?

You're right, much of that stuff could be shoved out into the
Makefile.port files. Maybe all of it --- does anyone know GNU Make's
substitution rules well enough to know whether

shlib := lib$(NAME)$(DLSUFFIX).$(SO_MAJOR_VERSION).$(SO_MINOR_VERSION)

can appear *before* NAME and so forth get defined? If so, the
library naming rule could be defined by Makefile.port too. I was
being conservative when I wrote Makefile.shlib, but I'm not sure
that the order of declarations it recommends is really essential.