timezone incompatibility

From: "Winter, Wolfgang" <Wolfgang(dot)Winter(at)AtosOrigin(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: timezone incompatibility
Date: 2002-06-21 06:46:32
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-jdbc

Hi,

I'm testing our auto-configuration persistence framework (acp) against
several databases and now that it comes to PostgreSQL, I run into a timezone
incompatibility compared to other jdbc-drivers/databases. The framework
tests the database specific datatypes by inserting a value, retrieving it
and comparing the result. Here is the result for timestamp:

Insert and Retrieve of SQLType 93 test value <Sun Jun 20 20:16:54 CEST
1756> failed. Retrieved after insert: <Sun Jun 20 18:16:54 CEST 1756>

I tried it with a test value in 1992 and the test passes.
Okay, the docs say:
"PostgreSQL uses your operating system's underlying features to provide
output time-zone support, and these systems usually contain information for
only the time period 1902 through 2038 (corresponding to the full range of
conventional Unix system time)."

But nevertheless, I feel sick with this behaviour, to me it seems not to be
correct and it makes PostgreSQL incompatible to other databases. The
databases I have tested so far retrieve the correct date before 1902.

regards
Wolfgang

Dr. Wolfgang Winter
LogiTags Systems