Encrypting a single column

From: Glyn Astill <glynastill(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Encrypting a single column
Date: 2007-12-14 16:30:45
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hi people,

We need to encrypt an individual column in a table. I've noticed that
pgcrypto can do this.

However we have one problem, our software runs through a closed
source "connectivity kit" that allows it to use a postgres dbms, so
our programs cant sent an individual sql statement to give the

The column we want to encrypt is used in thousands of programs so
it's hard for us to change all the programs to encrypt / decrypt the

Can anyone see any way around this?

Sent from Yahoo! Mail - a smarter inbox

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: Glyn AstillDate: 2007-12-14 17:35:55