Encrypting a single column

From: Glyn Astill <glynastill(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Encrypting a single column
Date: 2007-12-14 16:30:45
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi people,

We need to encrypt an individual column in a table. I've noticed that
pgcrypto can do this.

However we have one problem, our software runs through a closed
source "connectivity kit" that allows it to use a postgres dbms, so
our programs cant sent an individual sql statement to give the
password.

The column we want to encrypt is used in thousands of programs so
it's hard for us to change all the programs to encrypt / decrypt the
column

Can anyone see any way around this?