Corrupt backup file after pg_dump (from windows)

From: Anibal Acosta <aa(at)personal(dot)net(dot)py>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Corrupt backup file after pg_dump (from windows)
Date: 2007-12-14 15:16:45
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello guys; Days ago I backup my postgres database using the PGAdmin program for windows; my postgres version is 8.1.

Now; when I try to restore the backup an error occur. ( BTW; I format my disk; so I can't backup gain :( )

After restore I check the postgres database and I found all table; functions; and others structures; also data in some tables but not in all.

After some research I detect that I have some "bad blocks" in my backup file. Those blocks are in the DATA section of a large table; maybe in a range of 16K.

So; when I run the pg_restore everything is restored until the damaged sector; all information after it is ignored.

In the console appear "out of memory".

Someones suggest to open the backup file and remove bad rows; but when I open in any text editor the data is not in a human readable way.

So; maybe you know how can I remove all rows stored in damaged bytes in order to restore all others rows after it.

Thanks!!

Anibal