Re: partition insert performance

From: Gurjeet Singh <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Anj Adu <fotographs(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: partition insert performance
Date: 2009-06-15 14:38:38
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 7:47 PM, Anj Adu <fotographs(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> We currently use triggers with static if..then..else statements to
> determine which partition the data goes into. Would there be a performance
> impact if we were to use dynamic sql to achieve the same ?. The issue with
> static triggers is the maintenance overhead of having to redefine the
> triggers periodically. The dynamic sql is simple and involves building a sql
> string with just a to_char(date_Field) to determine which partition the data
> goes into and the trigger will never have to be re-defined.

There will be some performance degradation, but you'll have to test measure
it and decide if it is acceptable to you vs. the maintenance overhead.

Best regards,
--
Lets call it Postgres

gurjeet[(dot)singh](at)EnterpriseDB(dot)com
singh(dot)gurjeet(at){ gmail | hotmail | indiatimes | yahoo }.com
Mail sent from my BlackLaptop device