Re: identify database process given client process

From: "Gurjeet Singh" <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: hogcia <hogcia(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: identify database process given client process
Date: 2008-03-18 07:20:57
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 8:28 PM, hogcia <hogcia(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I have to find a Postgres database process pid (or other
> identification) for a given client process pid. Or client processes
> for a database process. How are they connected? I was suggested maybe
> netstat could give me the answer and I think those are two pf_unix
> processes. But maybe there are some PostgreSQL functions that do this?
> How should I approach this topic?

If possible, execute the following query from your client, and it will show
that server process the client is connected to.

select pg_backend_pid();

This is an easy, one way route to determine a client's shadow process, be it
local or remote.

If you want reverse lookup, that is, trying to find out which backend
process is servicing which client, it'd be a bit difficult. You have to
query pg_stat_activity and the client_addr and client_port columns wil give
you some information about the remote clients. For local clients using Unix
sockets, these columns are null.

Best regards,
--
gurjeet[(dot)singh](at)EnterpriseDB(dot)com
singh(dot)gurjeet(at){ gmail | hotmail | indiatimes | yahoo }.com

17° 29' 34.37"N, 78° 30' 59.76"E - Hyderabad *
18° 32' 57.25"N, 73° 56' 25.42"E - Pune
37° 47' 19.72"N, 122° 24' 1.69" W - San Francisco

http://gurjeet.frihost.net

Mail sent from my BlackLaptop device