Re: [HACKERS] Not your father's question about deadlocks

From: "Gurjeet Singh" <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Clarence Gardner" <clarence(at)silcom(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Not your father's question about deadlocks
Date: 2006-11-16 20:49:34
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On 11/17/06, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> we need a special case when we are already a member of the MultiXact:
> fall through without trying to reacquire the tuple lock.

Small implementation detail: Also keep a count of how many times the same
session requested the same lock, and do not release the lock until he
requests same number of releases.

This might add (may be significant) overhead, but I am concerned with
whether it is desirable?

Comments? Should we change HeapTupleSatisfiesUpdate's API to

--
gurjeet[(dot)singh](at)EnterpriseDB(dot)com
singh(dot)gurjeet(at){ gmail | hotmail | yahoo }.com