Re: How to use SSH tunnels with pgAdmin?

From: "Ken Winter" <ken(at)sunward(dot)org>
To: "'Josh Berkus'" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: "'pgAdmin Support List'" <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to use SSH tunnels with pgAdmin?
Date: 2010-02-28 02:39:23
Lists: pgadmin-support

The pgAdmin doc on this says:

'As the officially required solution, ask your network administrator to
vastly increase or even better disable TCP/IP connection watchdog timeouts
on the PostgreSQL port (usually 5432) to restore RFC compliant protocol
behaviour of the firewall.'

My host (WebFaction.com) says there is not a way to do this, so I went on to
the next part of the pgAdmin paragraph:

'If there's absolutely no way to accomplish this, you could use a SSH tunnel
for PostgreSQL traffic. SSH can be configured to keep the channel open at
all times, so that database traffic can be passed even after a prolonged
period of inactivity. For information how to configure this, ask your SSH
package's documentation for "tunneling".'

> Unless the connections are being dropped for some other reason?

Like what? (Not a rhetorical question; I know basically nothing about these
connectivity issues.)

The connections aren't being dropped when I work with my other PG tool, PG
Lightning Admin, which does use SSH tunnels.

~ Ken