Re: schema support, was Package support for Postgres

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden(at)netbsd(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: schema support, was Package support for Postgres
Date: 2001-10-15 21:02:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bill Studenmund <wrstuden(at)netbsd(dot)org> writes:
> For the most part, I think packages and schemas are orthogonal. I'm taking
> a cue from Oracle here. Oracle considers packages to be a schema-specific
> object.

Nonetheless, it's not clear to me that we need two independent concepts.
Given a name search path that can go through multiple schemas, it seems
to me that you could get all the benefits of a package from a schema.

I'm not necessarily averse to accepting Oracle's syntax for declaring
packages --- if we can make it easier for Oracle users to port to Postgres,
that's great. But I'm uncomfortable with the notion of implementing two
separate mechanisms that seem to do the exact same thing, ie, control
name visibility.