Re: Pre-forking backend - new idea

From: mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Pre-forking backend - new idea
Date: 2001-10-15 21:05:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

(I'm having trouble with e-mail, so if you get this twice, sorry)

I was looking at some Oracle configuration files today, and it occurred to me
how Postgres can be made to pre-fork, similarly to Oracle.

Oracle has "listener" processes that listen on a port for Oracle clients. The
listeners are configured for a database. Postgres could work the same way. It
could start up on port 5432 and work as it always has, and, in addition, it
could read a configuration script which directs it to "pre-fork" listeners on
other ports, one port per database. This would work because they already know
the database that they should be ready to use. The back-end does not need to be
involved.

Once you connect to the pre-forked back end, it will already be ready to
perform a query because it has already loaded the database. The file which
configures the "pre-forked" database could also contain run-time changeable
tuning options for each "pre-forked" instance, presumably, because you would
tune it for each database on which it would operate.