Hardware Platform

From: Duane Lee - EGOVX <DLee(at)mail(dot)maricopa(dot)gov>
To: "PG General (E-mail)" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "PGADMIN (E-mail)" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "PSQL Performance (E-mail)" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Hardware Platform
Date: 2004-05-17 23:08:34
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general pgsql-performance

I'm working on a project using PostgreSQL as our database designing a budget
system. We are still in the design and testing phases but I thought I would
ask advice about a platform to host this system.

We aren't a large system, probably no more than 50-75 users at any one time.
>From a data standpoint I can't guess at the number of gigabytes but suffice
to say it is not going to be that large. Our biggest table will probably
hold about 1 million rows and is about 120 bytes (closer to about 100).

Dell and HP servers are being mentioned but we currently have no preference.

Any help you could provide will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Duane

P.S. I've only just begun using PostgreSQL after having used (and still
using) DB2 on a mainframe for the past 14 years. My experience with
Unix/Linux is limited to some community college classes I've taken but we do
have a couple of experienced Linux sysadmins on our team. I tell you this
because my "ignorance" will probably show more than once in my inquiries.