Re: career in SQL/Database administration

From: <btober(at)seaworthysys(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: career in SQL/Database administration
Date: 2003-09-24 16:29:49
Lists: pgsql-general

> I think most careers these days are shifting towards "package jobs"
> where one guy does everything.

Either that, or you work for a consulting/contractor outfit, and the
customer periodically cancels the contract in order to play hardball and
"negotiate" for lower rates. Then you find yourself out of a job at least
temporarily and periodically, so you never build up a vested retirement
savings balance, or feel secure enough in your future to lay down solid
roots in, and contribute to your community or give your children that
important sense of stability and comfort as they are growing up... Too
many companies fail to view any longer IT staff as a strategic asset. I'd
think twice, given hindsight.

~bober