Re: Sustained inserts per sec ... ?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Christopher Petrilli <petrilli(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Sustained inserts per sec ... ?
Date: 2005-04-05 03:35:00
Lists: pgsql-performance

Christopher Petrilli <petrilli(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Apr 4, 2005 10:36 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> The indicated fix of course is to increase shared_buffers.

> Any idea where it should be set?

Not really. An upper bound would be the total size of the finished
indexes for one 10M-row table, but one would suppose that that's
overkill. The leaf pages shouldn't have to stay in RAM to have
reasonable behavior --- the killer case is when upper-level tree
pages drop out. Or that's what I'd expect anyway.

You could probably drop the inter-insert sleep for testing purposes,
if you want to experiment with several shared_buffers values quickly.