pg_restore: [custom archiver] dumping a specific TOC data block out of order is not supported without ID on this input stream (fseek required)

From: Glyn Astill <glynastill(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pg_restore: [custom archiver] dumping a specific TOC data block out of order is not supported without ID on this input stream (fseek required)
Date: 2010-04-30 09:53:05
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi chaps,

I've just upgraded a server from 8.3 to 8.4, and when trying to use the parallel restore options I get the following error:

"pg_restore: [custom archiver] dumping a specific TOC data block out of order is not supported without ID on this input stream (fseek required)"

The dump I'm trying to restore is purely a data dump, and the schema is separate (due to the way our setup works).

These are the options I'm using for the dump and the restore:

pg_dump -Fc <dbname> -U postgres -h localhost -a --disable-triggers

pg_restore -U postgres --disable-triggers -j 4 -c -d <dbname>

can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong, or why my files are not supported by parallel restore?

Thanks
Glyn