Re: Fix for OpenSSL error queue bug

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, David Zuelke <dz(at)heroku(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Fix for OpenSSL error queue bug
Date: 2016-03-14 22:06:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com> writes:
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 8:16 PM, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 7:22 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
>>> Arguably, if everyone followed "my" approach, this should be very easy
>>> to fix everywhere.

>> I don't think that there is any clear indication that the OpenSSL
>> people would share that view. Or my view. Or anything that's sensible
>> or practical or actionable.

> Ideally, we'd be able to get this into the upcoming minor release.

Agreed, we need to deal with this one way or the other. My proposal
is:

1. In HEAD, do it as Peter E. suggests, ie clear error queue before calls.

2. In back branches, clear error queue before *and* after calls. This
will waste a few nanoseconds but will avoid any risk of breaking
existing third-party code.

I think it's reasonable to expect extensions to update to the newer
behavior in a major release, but we're taking risks if we expect
that to happen in minor releases.

In any case, we need a patch that touches the backend-side code as well.