Reg: Custom Data Types in PostgreSQL

From: "Raj K" <raj(dot)indian(dot)08(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Reg: Custom Data Types in PostgreSQL
Date: 2008-11-22 04:18:08
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi all,
I am not an expert in DB. So please excuse, if the question is stupid.

In PostgreSQL, we do support custom data types - say enum type.
--> CREATE TYPE testtype AS ENUM {'test1', 'test2'};
Now, I was wondering whether we should be using a different table or the
enum itself for the same?
--> CREATE TABLE testtypetable { testtype varchar(3) PRIMARY KEY, id
serial };
A new table would help in any modification of enum values, right?
But then there is a mechanism to create this type, so there must be some
extremely pertinent reason for having the same.
Other than ease of use, I couldnt find any.

Could anyone help me out on the same?

Regards
Raj