Re: Slow Query

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Shawn <postgres(at)xmtservices(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Slow Query
Date: 2007-09-04 00:49:42
Lists: pgsql-performance

Shawn <postgres(at)xmtservices(dot)net> writes:
> "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov> wrote:
>> Did you ever capture the output of VACUUM VERBOSE against this table

> vacuum verbose analyze shawns_data;
> INFO: index "shawns_data_pkey" now contains 15445 row versions in
> 35230 pages

[ and comparably bloated sizes for other indexes ]

Ouch! The table itself doesn't look nearly as bad:

> INFO: "shawns_data": found 21444 removable, 15445 nonremovable row
> versions in 770 pages

but you've got a spectacularly bad case of index bloat. An index 50
times bigger than its table is Not Good. I think you'd find that
"REINDEX TABLE shawns_data" does wonders for the situation.

The next question is how it got to be that way... what is your
vacuuming policy for this database? Maybe you need to raise
max_fsm_pages?