Re: Reduce heap tuple header size

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Manfred Koizar <mkoi-pg(at)aon(dot)at>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Reduce heap tuple header size
Date: 2002-06-14 14:16:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Manfred Koizar <mkoi-pg(at)aon(dot)at> writes:
> This patch, which is built upon the "HeapTupleHeader accessor macros"
> patch from 2002-06-10, is supposed to reduce the heap tuple header size
> by four bytes on most architectures. Of course it changes the on-disk
> tuple format and therefore requires initdb.

As I commented before, I am not in favor of this. I don't think that a
four-byte savings justifies a forced initdb with no chance of
pg_upgrade, plus loss of redundancy (= reduced chance of detecting or
recovering from corruption), plus significantly slower access to
several critical header fields. The tqual.c routines are already
hotspots in many scenarios. I believe this will make them noticeably
slower.