Re: Feature freeze progress report

From: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: "Marc Munro" <marc(at)bloodnok(dot)com>
Cc: "Naz Gassiep" <naz(at)mira(dot)net>, heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org, simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, bruce(at)momjian(dot)us
Subject: Re: Feature freeze progress report
Date: 2007-05-02 19:04:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Marc Munro wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-02-05 at 08:27 -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>>
>> Naz Gassiep wrote:

>> ran

>> > Same way as happens now.
>> >

>> The question was rhetorical ... there is no list of "certified sane but
>> unapplied" patches. You are proceeding on the basis of a faulty
>> understanding of how our processes work.
>
> Why do we need to know the patch is sane?

Because not doing so is dangerous and a major security hole. I won't run
arbitrary code on my machine and I won't create infrastructure (e.g.
buildfarm) to get others to do it either.

You are also conveniently ignoring all the other reasons why this won't
help anyone much (e.g. see Bruce's comments upthread).

cheers

andrew