Re: How to debug a locked backend ?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Csaba Nagy <nagy(at)ecircle-ag(dot)com>
Subject: Re: How to debug a locked backend ?
Date: 2005-11-18 15:10:22
Lists: pgsql-general

Csaba Nagy <nagy(at)ecircle-ag(dot)com> writes:
> I have right now a locked backend, similar to what I had a few days ago.
> It won't answer to pg_cancel_backend.
> Is there a way to diagnoze what it is actually doing ?

> If you answer, please do it quickly as in max 15 minutes I'll kill -9

This post was pretty much a complete waste of bandwidth then, seeing
that pggeneral never has a turnaround time as short as 15 min (it seems
to be more like 2 hours today :-().

However, if it happens again, please see what you can learn by attaching
to the stuck backend with gdb and getting a stack trace.