Re: Mysterious locking problem

From: "Miguel Carvalho" <miguel(at)ipatimup(dot)pt>
To: <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Mysterious locking problem
Date: 2002-05-21 22:33:05
Lists: pgsql-general

> On Tue, 21 May 2002, Miguel Carvalho wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> thank's for reppling.
>>
>> > Given your query things above I'm guessing you've turned on query
>> > printing?
>>
>> Query print is off, because that will startve may hardisk verry
>> quickly.
>>
>> > Are the selects perhaps SELECT ... FOR UPDATE queries going
>>
>> I forgot to mention that the selects are plain selects( not select
>> for update ).
>
> You might want to turn query printing on for just short time to see if
> there are other queries being done.

Ok, i will try it.

> Do you have any foreign keys or
> triggers on these tables that might be doing so?

On one of the tables i have a trigger before insert, but the trigger isnt
doing any row or table locking. The tirgger is just executing some
validations( plain selects ). Can this be the problem?

>> > for the same rows in which case I think the second would wait on the
>> > first?

I agree with you.

>> Can this be a PHP issue?
>
> Seems wierd for it to be.

Ok, i am going to dig into the problem.

> Can you distill what you're doing into a small reproducable example and
> send enough information to reproduce it?

I'am gone try.

Regards,
Miguel Carvalho