Re: Killing output

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dave_Pfaltzgraff(at)patapsco(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Killing output
Date: 2000-12-26 19:54:03
Lists: pgsql-novice

Dave_Pfaltzgraff(at)patapsco(dot)com writes:
> If I'm in psql and do something stupid like:
> select * from table where date < '12/24/1000';
> where I meant to enter >, is there some way to kill the ouput so I
> don't have to > wait for all the output to complete before I can enter
> the correct command?

Recent versions of psql pipe the output through 'more' (or 'less', or
local equivalent) automatically.

If you are running a not-so-recent version, I believe that's still true,
but it may not be default behavior. See psql docs concerning PAGER
environment variable.

Another possibility is that you have PAGER set to a value that prevents
this from happening (like "cat", say).