Re: type unknown - how important is it?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com
Cc: Shachar Shemesh <psql(at)shemesh(dot)biz>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: type unknown - how important is it?
Date: 2005-03-15 15:01:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com> writes:
> I just had a customer complain about this. My understanding is that
> unkown is a constant which has not been typed yet. Is it possible for it
> to be a binary type, if so how ?
> I would think it should only ever be a string?

You can read "unknown" as "string literal for which the query does not
provide sufficient context to assign a definite type". I dunno what the
OLE driver really needs to do with the datatype info, but I suppose that
treating this as equivalent to "text" is not unreasonable. Ask the
complainant what *he* thinks it should do.