Re: What is happening on buildfarm member dugong

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Sergey E(dot) Koposov" <math(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)ru>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: What is happening on buildfarm member dugong
Date: 2007-09-11 16:08:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Sergey E. Koposov" <math(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)ru> writes:
> Actually, in the log file I also see some messages about has_seq_search:

> =EB=EF=ED=E1=EE=E4=E1: CREATE DATABASE "contrib_regression" TEMPLATE=3Dtem=
> plate0
> NOTICE: database "contrib_regression" does not exist, skipping
> ERROR: too many active hash_seq_search scans
> ERROR: too many active hash_seq_search scans
> ERROR: too many active hash_seq_search scans
> ERROR: too many active hash_seq_search scans
> ERROR: could not fsync segment 0 of relation 1663/16384/2617: No such file=
> or directory
> ERROR: checkpoint request failed

That could be a consequent effect I think --- bgwriter is lacking an
AtEOXact_HashTables call in error recovery (something I will go fix)
and so after enough fsync errors we'd start getting these.

Anyway it seems we need to cast the net a bit wider for where the
troublesome Assert is. I'd suggest rebuilding the whole system with
--enable-cassert, then comment out the USE_ASSERT_CHECKING #define
in pg_config.h, and "make clean/make" in one backend subdirectory
at a time till you see where it stops failing. Then repeat at the
file level. Divide and conquer...