Re: Postgresql on file system EXT2 or EXT3

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql on file system EXT2 or EXT3
Date: 2003-11-28 18:40:14
Lists: pgsql-general

miki(at)canaan(dot)co(dot)il ("Ben-Nes Michael") writes:
> Don't go on EXT2, its not reliable and takes lots of time to start after an
> unclean shutdown. ( all the other explained it quite well )
>
> The most promising FS is Reiserfs v4
> http://www.namesys.com/v4/v4.html
>
> If you cant wait I suggest XFS or JFS.

ReiserFS may seem "promising," but I wouldn't touch it for DBMS work
for quite some time to come.

Its design has always been directed to the efficient handling of tiny
files, and I don't see version 4 changing that. That's not ideal for
PostgreSQL, because it tends to access fairly large files.

ReiserFS has a history of losing data when crashes take place (e.g. -
unclean shutdown). I haven't experienced any _enormous_ horrors, but
have experienced enough small problems that I'm not interested in
having DBMS files on it...
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="libertyrms.info" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
<http://dev6.int.libertyrms.com/>