Re: Recursive use

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Recursive use
Date: 2006-10-06 18:04:01
Lists: pgsql-admin

burbello3000(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)br (Alexander Burbello) writes:
> Hi people,
>
> I need to know if Postgres do recursive search and how can I do!
> I will explain my problem.
>

> table COOPERATIVE
> code_cooperative int
> code_coo_father int
>
> I can have 3 level by business rules
>
> 1 - Father
> ----- 2 - Children
> --------- 3 - Grandchildren
>

> I would like to have a query asking who is father and granfather
> select grandfather, father from COOPERATIVE where COD_COOPERATIVE = 3
>
> Do the Postgres can solve this problem?
> Could anybody help me?

There was a proposal to implement WITH RECURSIVE for PostgreSQL 8.2;
that fell by the wayside.

The task is on the ToDo list:

<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.TODO.html>
Add SQL:2003 WITH RECURSIVE (hierarchical) queries to SELECT

At present, you may simulate this by writing a pl/pgsql function that
does the recursion in procedural code.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="linuxdatabases.info" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
http://cbbrowne.com/info/postgresql.html