Re: Poolin' it

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Poolin' it
Date: 2005-06-28 15:25:29
Lists: pgsql-admin

kris(at)digonex(dot)com (Kris Kiger) writes:
> Howdy all. I'm doing some research on 'middleware' type connection
> pooling, such as pgpool. I'm having some trouble finding other
> options that are actively being maintained, whether it be by the
> open source community or not. Can anyone point me to some other
> resources or ideas for connection pooling? Thanks a lot!

You're probably noticing the effect that if there is a project that is
suitable for enough cases, this can discourage there from being other
similar projects.

Those that have been interested in connection pools have been looking
at pgpool, and finding it significantly better than any of the other
options that there were out on the "information stuporhighway."

It would take quite a lot of work to create an alternative to pgpool,
and it is quite likely that it would be less work to "fix" misfeatures
of pgpool. Ergo... This leads to not terribly much call for other
systems...
--
(format nil "~S(at)~S" "cbbrowne" "acm.org")
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/sap.html