Performance statistics

From: Michael Gould <mgould(at)intermodalsoftwaresolutions(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Performance statistics
Date: 2010-04-01 13:03:04
Lists: pgsql-general

Without asking for any blood letting, I'm wondering if there are any hard
statistics available to prove  if  Windows Server is faster than, slower
than or the same as for performance to one of the various Linux
distributions.  While our application is a commerical application, in our
survey we've been asked for information on running the server on a Linux box
vs a Windows Server.

I suspect that running on a Linux server will be faster, however I'm
concerned about maintenance at customer sites who have no Linux support and
are a Windows based shop.  The application is written with a Windows based
language. We will also be hosting smaller companies so I want to see the
statistics and if Linux is a clear winner, the best distrubution to work
with.

Best Regards

--
Michael Gould, Managing Partner