Re: contrib/rtree_gist into core system?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "John Hansen" <john(at)geeknet(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, "Greg Stark" <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: contrib/rtree_gist into core system?
Date: 2005-06-27 14:02:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"John Hansen" <john(at)geeknet(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> No, but the _current_ implementation of the rtree operators are ver much
> self explaining and need no howto.

That reasoning no doubt explains why we don't have *any* rtree-like
opclasses that got the left/overleft/right/overright semantics right
the first time :-(.

Greg Stark is right that the GIST API could probably be simpler ---
in particular it would be interesting to see if we could offer a
default picksplit function that most opclasses could use. But that
doesn't mean that the rtree API is exactly trivial.