Re: enhanced pgbench

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: enhanced pgbench
Date: 2005-09-28 14:16:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> I think the enhanced pgbench is quite usefull and I would like to
> include in 8.1. Or should I keep it for 8.2?

Well, we've traditionally been laxer about contrib than the core
software, so the fact that we're past feature freeze isn't sufficient
reason to say "no". I'm inclined to say "yes" because I think this
might make a handy debugging tool --- for instance, Janning Vygen's
current problem with temp tables might be reproducible using a pgbench
script, without having to write any new software.

Have you thought about ripping out all the original pgbench code and
instead having a "default script" that duplicates the original behavior?

Also it seems like it'd be useful if there could be more than one
script, so as to test situations where the clients aren't all doing
exactly the same thing.