Re: [OT] MySQL is bad, but THIS bad?

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [OT] MySQL is bad, but THIS bad?
Date: 2006-05-19 19:10:42
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com ("Mark Woodward") writes:
>> Jim C. Nasby wrote:
>>> Maybe a compatability layer isn't worth doing, but I certainly
>>> think it's very much worthwhile for the community to do everything
>>> possible to encourage migration from MySQL. We should be able to
>>> lay claim to most advanced and most popular OSS database.
>>>

>> We'll do that by concentrating on spiffy features, not
>> compatibility layers. I want people to use PostgreSQL because it's
>> the best, not because it's just like something else.
>>

> While I do agree with the ideal, the reality may not be good
> enough. Even I, a PostgreSQL user for a decade, have to use MySQL
> right now because that is what the client uses.
>
> Again, there is so much code for MySQL, a MySQL emulation layer, MEL
> for short, could allow plug and play compatibility for open source,
> and closed source, applications that otherwise would force a
> PostgreSQL user to hold his or her nose and use MySQL.

But this is essentially what killed off OS/2 in the marketplace.

IBM created a "good enough" emulation layer that it ran [early]
Windows(tm) applications sufficiently well that nobody bothered
porting applications to *properly* work with OS/2.

Microsoft then played off that with exceeding success; they made sure
that future versions of Windows(tm) were sufficiently different that
OS/2 was left orphaned.

We *are* in a sufficiently comparable state here; MySQL AB is *NOT*
our friend; they want to successfully 'take over the world,' at least
as far as they can do so with their product line...
--
"cbbrowne","@","cbbrowne.com"
http://cbbrowne.com/info/unix.html