Re: timestamps and dates

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Nigel J(dot) Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: Antti Haapala <antti(dot)haapala(at)iki(dot)fi>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: timestamps and dates
Date: 2003-04-28 23:04:12
Lists: pgsql-general

"Nigel J. Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
> localtime is linked to /usr/share/zoneinfo/right/GB
> where as may be setting TZ or explicitly setting the GUC is picking up
> /usr/share/zoneinfo/posix/GB or /usr/share/zoneinfo/GB.

IIRC, the "posix" ones are non-leap-second-aware. Systems which have a
"right" directory have leap-second-aware timezone files in that
subdirectory.

As for how "right" it is to track leap seconds, I note that the powers
that control such things are seriously considering abandoning leap
seconds. Having unpredictable future differences between UTC and TAI
sucks.