Re: PATCH: Add hstore_to_json()

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PATCH: Add hstore_to_json()
Date: 2009-12-30 19:23:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 1:23 PM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> wrote:
> I think we are getting the cart way before the horse. I'd like to see at
> least the outline of an API before we go any further. JSON is, shall we say,
> lightly specified, and doesn't appear to have any equivalent to XPath and
> friends, for example. How will we extract values from a JSON object? How
> will we be able to set values inside them? In ECMAScript it's not a problem,
> because the objects returned are just like any other objects, but that's not
> the case here. These are the sorts of questions we need to answer before we
> look at any implementation details, I think.

I think the idea that Peter was proposing was to start by creating a
type that doesn't necessarily have a lot of operators or functions
associated with it, with the thought of adding those later. It would
still need to validate the input, of course.

Anyhow, that might be a bad way to approach the problem, but I think
that's how we got here.

...Robert