Re: BUG #5230: Limit operator slows down

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: aftab khan <akhangd(at)hotmail(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: Postgres-Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #5230: Limit operator slows down
Date: 2009-12-04 02:01:44
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 10:45 AM, aftab khan <akhangd(at)hotmail(dot)co(dot)uk> wrote:
> This is not exactly the same what I posted yesterday, What I have posted
> today also include EXPLAIN ANALYZE OUTPUT .

[ adding the list back to the CC line ]

It looks like you have a problem very similar to one Laurence Laborde
was complaining about recently on pgsql-performance. My discussion of
the problem is here:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2009-12/msg00022.php

In your case, the reason why the estimates are off is because of the
lack of multi-column statistics, rather than because of the choice of
operator, but the issues are similar.

...Robert