Re: next CommitFest

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: next CommitFest
Date: 2009-11-12 19:43:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 1:45 PM, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-11-12 at 11:36 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
>> I agree.  I would quibble only with the details.  I think we should
>> require patch authors to act as a reviewer for any CommitFest for
>> which they have submitted patches.  We don't need every patch author
>> to review as many patches as they submit, because some people will
>> review extras, and some non-patch-authors will review.  If they review
>> one patch each, that's probably more than enough.  It's also easier
>> for bookkeeping purposes.
>
> Not all contributors are fluent English readers and writers.
>
> I certainly do not discourage those people from reviewing, but I can
> understand how it might be more frustrating and less productive for
> them. An important part of review is to read the relevant mailing list
> threads and try to tie up loose ends and find a consensus.

Unfortunately, those people's patches also typically require more work
from other community members. Discussions are longer and more
confused, and someone has to rewrite the documentation and comments
before commit. If anything, people whose patches require more help
need to find ways to contribute MORE to the community, not less. I
understand that's not easy, but it's necessary.

...Robert