Re: syslog_line_prefix

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Joshua Tolley <eggyknap(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: syslog_line_prefix
Date: 2009-09-25 21:04:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 4:58 PM, Joshua Tolley <eggyknap(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 03:19:36PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> However, I don't think I actually believe the premise of this patch,
>> which is that sending log information to both stderr and syslog is
>> a useful thing to do
>
> Actually the thing I want is to be able to send some stuff to syslog, and some
> to a file, and other stuff to another file. This patch doesn't do all that,
> but lays the necessary groundwork.

I don't think it does anything of the sort. Getting to that point by
adding GUCs is quickly going to produce obviously unacceptable numbers
of GUCs. Or if it isn't, then I'd like to hear the whole designed
laid out. I think Magnus's idea of a separate config file is much
more likely to be succesful than what we have here, but that too will
require some design that hasn't been done yet.

...Robert