Re: small but useful patches for text search

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com
Cc: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: small but useful patches for text search
Date: 2009-03-22 04:13:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 12:55 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:
>> Robert,  this has been discussed many times before, and most people agree with
>> you, but Bruce doesn't. I think the ony way this will change is if someone
>> takes on the role of "release notes manager", subscrbes to pgsql-commits, and
>> then starts updating a wiki page as each item is committed. Once other
>> committers see that, I'm guessing they will start helping, and eventually
>> Bruce will join in. Outside of that I think we're wasting our time on this.
>
> This is actually a good point regardless of Bruce. The run down is this:
>
> We have an individual that does stuff a certain way. That way works for
> him. That individual is the one actually doing the work.
>
> We have other individuals who would like to do it a different way.
>
> I invite those individuals to do so. If there way proves to be more
> efficient the community will move in that direction.

Sadly, this approach seems to have a high percentage probability of
being completely wasted effort. So I agree with Robert Treat: we're
wasting our time on this. As I said upthread, I am still willing to
help edit release notes, either now or most likely in the future, if
there is a list of commits to start from (and although I may find it
odd, Bruce feels it's the easier half of the job, so, fine). If that
is helpful, great. If it's not, that's OK too.

...Robert