Re: FWD: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch

From: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Brendan Jurd" <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: FWD: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch
Date: 2009-01-15 18:08:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I think searching for both user and system stuff with a pattern is a
> no-brainer.

I'm not sure whether you're endorsing that approach or panning it, but
-1 from me. We have always had \d or \dt for user tables and \dS or
\dtS for system tables. No one is complaining about this AFAICS, so
we should \df be any different? The only argument I can see is that
"it's always been different", but IMHO, making it still be
inconsistent yet in a sneakier and less intuitive way doesn't seem
like a step forward.

...Robert