Re: Plugin system like Firefox

From: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: "Markus Wanner" <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>, "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Plugin system like Firefox
Date: 2008-08-12 18:04:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I can't speak for anyone else, but I much prefer packages that make
use of my operating system's package management system rather than
rolling their own. If I need a perl package that I can't get through
yum, I build my own RPMs rather than installing through CPAN.

I actually think that the biggest hurdle to the adoption of non-core
code is knowing that it's out there to begin with. Firefox advertises
the availability of add-ons VERY prominently, and that is why people
give them a try. www.postgresql.org has a link to pgfoundry on the
home page, but nothing about contrib, and pgfoundry is not as
end-user-friendly as addons.mozilla.org.

And the core documentation doesn't mention contrib or pgfoundry much
either. There is a section on contrib in the docs, but that only
helps you if your question is "What does contrib module X do?". If
your question is "Is there a contrib module X that addresses my
problem?", that's not so easy. For example, if you''re reading the
page on string functions[1], it will tell you that you can do regular
expression matching and substring matching, but they WON'T tell you
that if you're looking for soundex matching, you should look to the
fuzzystrmatch[2] package.

...Robert

[1] http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/functions-string.html
[2] http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/fuzzystrmatch.html