Re: How to improve db performance with $7K?

From: Jacques Caron <jc(at)directinfos(dot)com>
To: Alex Turner <armtuk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, William Yu <wyu(at)talisys(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to improve db performance with $7K?
Date: 2005-04-18 18:24:25
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi,

At 20:16 18/04/2005, Alex Turner wrote:
>So my assertion that adding more drives doesn't help is pretty
>wrong... particularly with OLTP because it's always dealing with
>blocks that are smaller that the stripe size.

When doing random seeks (which is what a database needs most of the time),
the number of disks helps improve the number of seeks per second (which is
the bottleneck in this case). When doing sequential reads, the number of
disks helps improve total throughput (which is the bottleneck in that case).

In short: in always helps :-)

Jacques.