Change Request

From: Bert Blink <bblink(at)pcug(dot)org(dot)au>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Change Request
Date: 2004-08-31 23:00:19
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi

I am a Tutor who teaches SQL and I like to be familiar with all Relational
DBs and their SQL variants.

I run WinXP HE under a single Account name and would like to install and
use PostgreSQL. I have downloaded a version of PostgreSQL from
http://pgfoundry.org/project/showfiles.php?group_id=1000007&release_id=48
and at present have installed V7.5.

My problem:-

(1) I don't want to use the "Install as a service" option as I do not want
more than one account on my machine.

(2) So I installed PostgreSQL by unchecking the "Install as a service"
option. The problem now is I can't start PostgreSQL because I get the
following error "execution of PostgreSQL by a user with administrative
permissions is not permitted. The server must ........".

This appears to be a Catch22 situation.

All I want is to install PostgreSQL as a WinXP Service and as a user with
admin privileges be able to stop & start the PostgreSQL service. This is
how I have both Oracle & MySQL installed. These are just WinXP services
which are stopped by default and when I want to use them I just start the
appropriate services and then use an appropriate GUI to run SQL.

Is there some chance you could change your install package so that :-

(1) I can install PostgreSQL as a service without having to create a new
Account Name & Password

OR

(2) by pass install as a service but allow anyone to start the service?

Bert

PO Box 720
Belconnen ACT 2616 Australia
+61+2+ 62541341 (h)