libpq on the server

From: Wayne Fang <wayne(at)barrodale(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: libpq on the server
Date: 2004-08-23 15:58:49
Lists: pgsql-general
Hi,

For various reasons (parallel structure with existing code, commonality of concepts, etc), we have C language functions implemented that use libpq to make a new connection to the same Postgres server.  Yes, I realize libpq is meant for clients and SPI for backends.  The question is, are there any technical problems with this?  Will using libpq in the backend do Bad Things in unexpected areas/ways?

The environment ranges from:
Postgres 7.4.2, 7.4.3
RedHat 7.3, 9.0

Thanks,